So, I believe that sometimes the Peace Corps is misunderstood, if the true purpose of it is known at all. I would like to help all of my family & friends better understand the mission of the Peace Corps and why it’s important not only to me, but to the US.
World peace and friendship. That’s the bottom line. The real reason for the PC is that simple. Here are the 3 goals for the PC to promote world peace & friendship:
1. To help the people of interested countries in meeting their needs or trained men & women.
2. To help promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of peoples served.
3. To help promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of all Americans.
Basically, the intent of the PC is to help those who need it and to promote a mutual understanding among humankind.
volunteers are the tools used to peace-ify the world. Without volunteers, this mission of world peace & friendship would be a failure. Here are expectations for the people who make it happen:
1. Prepare your personal and professional life to make a commitment to serve abroad or a full term of 27 months
2. Commit to improving the quality of life of the people with whom you live and work; and, in doing so, share your skills, adapt them, and learn new skills as needed
3. Serve where the PC asks you to go, under conditions of hardship, if necessary, & with the flexibility needed for effective service.
4. Recognize that your successful & sustainable development work is based on the local trust & confidence you build by living in, & respectfully integrating yourself into your host community & culture.
5. Recognize that you are responsible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for your personal conduct & professional performance.
6. Engage with host country partners in a spirit of operation, mutual learning, and respect.
7. Work within the rules & regulations of the PC & the local & national laws of the country where you serve.
8. Exercise judgement & personal responsibility to protect your health, safety, & well being & that of others.
9. Recognize that you willbbe perceived, in your host country & community, as a representative of the people, cultures, values, & traditions of the USA.
10. Represent responsibly the people, cultures, values, & traditions of your host country & community to people in the US both during & following your service.
Okay, so that’s a lot of technical stuff, but it is pretty important to really think about these expectations and the commitment it will take to be able to fulfill the PC mission of promoting world peace & friendship. I hope that this post helps everyone understand the purpose of the PC just a little bit better. I know that I had no idea what the PC was or why anyone would be interested until my senior year of college. So, we aren’t tree huggers or hippies, just Americans doing what they can to make this world a better place for EVERYONE.
“Be the change You want to see in the world.” ~Mahatama Gandi